What are you reading?

Use this forum for anything that is not IQ and/or music related.
Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:55 am

• I'm sure I'm like many of you in that I enjoy reading quite a bit. Right now I'm re-reading "Earthly Powers" by Anthony Burgess. Its quite a great book imo and I'm a big fan of his work. I'm also reading "The Saint in New York" by Leslie Charteris. Those books are cool and fun.

Anybody reading anything interesting?
    Doctorj
    Diamond Poster

Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:54 am

• I have just finished reading the "Blue Rose" triology by Peter Straub. Simply fantastic.
    Slow_Dancer
    Premium Member

Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:23 am

• I'd love to bereading something but I find it very hard to pick up a book these days. Most recently read would probably be the latest Sookie Stackhouse (True Blood) book but I have a good few on the shelf ready to go. The one I really need to get down to is Neal Stephenson's Anathem which I made the mistake of buying in hardback. It's been mocking me for well over a year and I di get about 200 pages in but it's truly the size of a doorstop and very achey on the wrists.

Previously I read the biography of Steve Earle and to the amusement of my Spanish holiday companions, a very absorbing book on the history of the London Underground.

IQ - GIVES YOU WINGS
    Polly Pocket
    Big Shiny Red Edam Poster

Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:11 pm

• Like Polly, I wish I had more time to read. Currently working my way through one of those books telling me why men and women are different.

It's bollocks :wink:

There are lots of books I'd like to get at the moment: new Sebastian Faulks, Stephen King, Ben Elton and the latest Adrian Mole installment. I was 13 when the first one came out, so it's been kind of interesting to follow it through. And, of course, they're just damn funny 8)
    essexboyinwales
    Emerald Poster

Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:15 pm

• I'm working my way through the Irvine Welsh collection just now. At the moment i'm reading 'Filth'.
    It's pretty amusing but the main character is a right creepy bast@$d.
    Some of the language in Irvines books is a little difficult to understand sometimes and that is coming from a fellow Scotsman. Them folk in the east of Scotland do talk funny though. (don't tell them I said so).
    pmc280
    Silver Poster

Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:48 pm

• pmc280 wrote:I'm working my way through the Irvine Welsh collection just now. At the moment i'm reading 'Filth'.
    It's pretty amusing but the main character is a right creepy bast@$d.

Read that a couple of years ago - yeah, he is quite an unpleasant piece of work, which makes the twist ending all the more enjoyable...
    Monumental chicken knickers...
    mcdozenlegs
    Distinctive Puce Poster

Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:36 pm

• which makes the twist ending all the more enjoyable...

Sounds good. I look forward to the end now.
    I've no chance of finishing it before next weeks bury gig so don't feel the need to blurt out the ending over the PA. (Why would you?)
    pmc280
    Silver Poster

Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:30 pm

• pmc280 wrote:don't feel the need to blurt out the ending over the PA. (Why would you?)

I'm gonna sneak up behind you during corners and whisper it in your ear and then disappear into thin air like some book ending spoiling ninja....
    Grab your taco, you've pulled a dyslexic Mexican.
    Deno
    Site Admin

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:41 pm

• Talking of Irvine Welsh, I'm also reading a Scots author ploughing a very similar furrow. The book is called Lollipop by Marc Pye, and it's a pretty average take on Welsh's style. Lots of violence, swearing in Glasgow dialects, with a whole load of sectarian nastiness as well. All things that Welsh does, but without the finesse or humour that takes Welsh out of the gratuitous league. I'll finish this one, but I'll not be consuming any more Pye.
    Your call is important to us. You are moving up the queue. Let me play you The Corrs so you fuck off before I have to answer.
    Baron Von Ruddles
    Diamond Poster

Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:59 pm

• I might keep Pye in mind for the future.
    I just need to go down to the pub to get the sectarian nastiness experience first hand. It's always amusing to read someones elses take on it though. I beggers belief how rife it is in Central Scotland. How can people be so stupid?

I'm gonna sneak up behind you during corners and whisper it in your ear and then disappear into thin air like some book ending spoiling ninja....

I'm going to have to stand at the back of the hall now so no one can sneak up behind me.
    pmc280
    Silver Poster

Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:40 pm

• This post, as I write it. :P
    so pass me a shot, and make it a double
    I'm a whole lot of trouble and I don't do subtle.

Dizzee Rascal
    the real Oggy
    Leather Poster

Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:56 pm

• I'm still not finished with Earthly Powers (its big in more ways than one), but for lighter fare I've started "Julian" by Gore Vidal. Its in an "I Claudius" style. I've also got Harry Harrison's "Death World Trilogy" next up.

I've seen some of Pye's books at our local library. Thought about checking one out to see what's up.
    Doctorj
    Diamond Poster

Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:07 am

• Stop the presses!! I was in our university bookstore this afternoon and saw a brand new book by Martin Cruz Smith! Its the brand new Arkady Renko novel - one of my favorite series. Cruz Smith is a fantastic author imo. I'm already 1/3 of the way through (and I'm still at the office :wink: )
    Doctorj
    Diamond Poster

Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:59 am

Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:21 pm

• Doctorj wrote:Stop the presses!! I was in our university bookstore this afternoon and saw a brand new book by Martin Cruz Smith! Its the brand new Arkady Renko novel - one of my favorite series. Cruz Smith is a fantastic author imo. I'm already 1/3 of the way through (and I'm still at the office :wink: )

Have to check that out - all the other books are great...
    Monumental chicken knickers...
    mcdozenlegs
    Distinctive Puce Poster

Next

Return to All Other Banter

Information