Question for the band.

Direct your questions to band members here
Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:31 pm

• Hello,

I am new to this forum but certainly not new to IQ, I love this band, one of my very favorites.
    Now maybe this is not the way to start out at a forum but I must ask this, as much as I love Dark Matter I must admit to being bothered by the anti American sentiment in the lyrics to the song Harvest Of Souls. I sometimes think that people from England, or should I say Great Britain only have history books dating back 100 years and do not or choose to not remember when you were the super power,sailing around the globe planting your flag in any piece of open ground and proclaiming it to be part of the British Empire,"colonizing" everyplace you could, including by the way America, the same country that you raise your middle fingers to during the playing of Harvest of Souls on the DVD from Holland that came with Frequency.And running roughshod over any who opposed the "Empire"
    Here is my question, have you ever thought about writing a song about all of that business? Or it it just convenient to hammer the USA since we happen to be the super power at this time. Thankfully our time will be over before long and then people can write the "anti" songs about China who are next in line to be the "Super Power".

I really am a big fan of IQ, but I had to ask this question.
    BobN

Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:34 pm

• Hi Bob, welcome to the IQ Forum.

The band try to answer as soon as they have the time so please be patient. I know Peter was busy doing a bit of flag burning this weekend so it could be some time before he gets around to it.

He has, however, answered questions similar to this about harvest of souls in past interviews. Could be worth having a quick Google to find some.

Cheers

Dene
    Grab your taco, you've pulled a dyslexic Mexican.
    Deno
    Site Admin

Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:52 pm

• Thanks for the welcome, (or was it?) Deno. Once again please believe me when I say that I am a genuine fan of IQ, I own all of the albums (even Nomzamo & Are You Sitting Comfortably) , and I will also say that even though I could hear some anti American vibe when listening to Harvest Of Souls it wasn't until I saw the DVD performance that it hit me what a slam it was at the USA.
    And just for the record I hate many of the things that are done by our government, Super Powers just have to throw their weight around . Remember that Bush did lose the popular vote the first time , but the republicans stole the election with the silly electoral vote, and the second term 54 million people voted against him.
    I hope I'm alive when China gets the title so I can put the shield away, and listen to everybody hammer them for a while.Imagine if the internet was around for the 200+ years that England/Great Britain wore the crown.You would most likely get tired of hearing it also.
    Contrary to popular European belief all Americans do not carry bibles around with us and go to barbecues with Sarah Palin, there are many of us that do think for ourselves.
    BobN

Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:00 pm

• Not wishing to assume any interpretation of the lyrics of Harvest of Souls, but reading this posting brought a few thoughts into my mind:

1. It's a long song, with a lot of lyrics, with only one section referring to America. Have you pondered the meaning of the whole song, or the way that section fits into the context of the song? IQ's lyrics, more than any other band I can think of, offer many different interpretations, and there's often no "right" interpretation. Often it's more about making you think; art after all is in the eye/ear/heart of the beholder.

2. One of the things America claims to hold dear is the principle of freedom of speech. Therefore is it not right for a band to be able to sing about whatever they like? Wouldn't it actually be anti-American to feel opinions can't be stated in a song?

3. There is a world of difference between opinions of a country's foreign policy, and opinions of a country as a whole, or its people. Taken a step further, you can be patriotic and still dislike your country's leader or its policies. And you can love another country but dislike some of its policies.

As I said, I have no idea whether the band were intentionally making a political statement with this song - just a few thoughts I had.

Spherical
    http://twitter.com/NeilDurant
    Spherical
    IQ

Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:23 am

• An interesting question. I personally interpreted the Harvest Of Souls passage in question as talking more specifically about the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and about the propaganda that was used to promote it, not so much about the USA in general.

Here's an interview from 2004 where Martin Orford spoke about the subject:
    http://vampster.com/artikel/show/?id=12987

It's in German though.
    bokkers
    Gold Poster

Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:31 pm

• Hey...............what's the point of an anti-war song if you don't get a few digs in at America ? :wink:
    And in the end, your only friend is one who's thinking what you're thinking.
    clarion
    Diamond Poster

Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:01 pm

• clarion wrote:Hey...............what's the point of an anti-war song if you don't get a few digs in at America ? :wink:

Or at England .Or should I say Great Britain. :wink:
    BobN

Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:58 pm

• BobN wrote:
    clarion wrote:Hey...............what's the point of an anti-war song if you don't get a few digs in at America ? :wink:

Or at England .Or should I say Great Britain. :wink:

Naaahh. Just carry on saying England Bob. :wink:
    If you're skating on thin ice, you might as well dance
    Fab Rab
    Diamond Poster

Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:20 pm

• I.Q., Marillion, The Tangent (I'm sure there's more) all seem to have an anti-American sentiment. None of them would have the courage to write lyrics opposing a country where free speech isn't a first amendment. Remember, if it wasn't for American "might" I'd have to learn German to know what these lyrics were about.
    indie_pop_co

Thu May 03, 2018 8:04 pm

• Hi,

I don't really see Harvest of Souls as an Anit-American, there are some very positive tyrics in there. Peter has on the Dark Matter, Live in Ameriac and Germany DVD, said that it is not Anti-America. I would say that IQ themselves are in any way not Anti-American, I beleve they love America and if promoters would give them more of a break that would visit more. As the old saying goes "Book them and they will come".

(Dislaimer: these are my personal thoughts and may not represent the band in any any way. These are ideas that have come from experiance of the band, and following them for many years)
    Last edited by mozo on Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    http://www.myspace.com/everybodyknowsadave

Am I the same when I'm not here?
    mozo
    Emerald Poster

Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:50 pm

• I think ALL the band and crew love the USA and it's always a highlight to get a gig there.

Everyone is looking forward to being in New Jersey for the first time in October.
    Grab your taco, you've pulled a dyslexic Mexican.
    Deno
    Site Admin

Return to Ask The Band

Information