Bury 2016

General Discussion of IQ and music in general
Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:07 pm

• Yippee. To counteract my disappointment at missing out on Summer's End I have purchased tickets for Bury. Looking forward to the refurbished venue revived and reborn. Some superb gigs here; who can forget the very first Subby gig, the back from the dead gig, the non working bass gig, the non guitar intro gig, the non working mic gig, the gig where Forever Live was first sold etc and other memorable gigs. All have been superb. I have been to them all.
    Sorry, can't make the London gig so with all that's happening personally and gig wise this will round off a momentous year.
    Main event despite Boss, Neil, Gilmour and the boys, including the Subby film though, will be my daughter's wedding. She's called Kayleigh; yes that one. So I'm looking forward to including a couple of lines from that song and also winding my future son in law up re his dislike, bordering on hatred of all things prog; he calls it twiddly bollocks, into my speech.
    My daughter is a secret prog head having been force fed, though in public she says she'd rather have her face peeled off.
    See you all at Bury, then at Bilston in 2017.
    Carl
    Carl Jacobs
    Silver Poster

Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:33 pm

• No Summer's End for me as well. So there's a 30 weeks' gap without any IQ gig (as far as I know) between the one in Malmö and the one in Bury. It was a really nice weekend last year, so I think about to do it again.

You only live once... :)

<edit> Booked! :)
    Last edited by Micha on Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    T minus:

Salle Jean-Paul Tardif, Québec, CAN: 14,
    Club Soda, Montréal, CAN: 15,
    ProgStock 2018, UCPAC, Rahway, NJ, USA: 17,
    Islington Assembly Hall, London, UK: 86,
    Cultuurpodium Boerderij, Zoetermeer, NL: 87,
    The Met, Bury, UK: 115 days
    Micha
    Premium Member

Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:37 pm

• So glad this gig sneaked in, won't be able to make either of the Christmas shows this year due to new job shifts. But unless there was a temporary technical glitch or something, the very handy Premier Inn just 5 minutes walk from The Met seems not to have any rooms for the 5th November.

Phil
    http://twitter.com/philrichardsuk
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/philstephenrichards
    philstephenrichards
    Gold Poster

Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:43 pm

• You're right Carl - let's get this thing started again ! There's been some sublime mad evenings at this venue - here's to November 5th !
    young dude

Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:30 am

• Yes, we're excited to finally be able to announce the date of this year's Bury gig. Looking forward to seeing you all there in the wizzy new refurbished surroundings. The main hall will be bigger and there will even be a balcony for those of us of a certain age who quite like the idea of sitting down for a gig these days. Not me, of course, I'll be standing up most of the time. Lucky old Cookie and Neil, though, eh?
    drpowder
    IQ

Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:58 pm

• Dr. P. Can we suggest special requests for this special show ?? Zero Hour or Hardcore would be , y' know , pretty ace .
    young dude

Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:31 pm

• Hmm, interesting requests. I imagine the live set may well change a fair bit between now and November. Personally, I wouldn't mind giving The Province and Ten Million Demons another go, but we'll see how things work out in rehearsals...
    drpowder
    IQ

Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:34 pm

• drpowder wrote:Hmm, interesting requests. I imagine the live set may well change a fair bit between now and November. Personally, I wouldn't mind giving The Province and Ten Million Demons another go, but we'll see how things work out in rehearsals...

Go for it! Go for it! Two tracks we haven't heard live anywhere near enough!

Am I pushing my luck asking for Further Away too :wink: ?
    Prog isn't Prog without bass pedals.
    perkin flump
    Silver Poster

Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:21 pm

• perkin flump wrote:Am I pushing my luck asking for Further Away too :wink: ?

Still my all-time favourite IQ track, too. An early version was played 1991 at the Paradiso in Amsterdam - so it's a kind of 25th anniversary of that track this year if I see it right... ;-)
    T minus:

Salle Jean-Paul Tardif, Québec, CAN: 14,
    Club Soda, Montréal, CAN: 15,
    ProgStock 2018, UCPAC, Rahway, NJ, USA: 17,
    Islington Assembly Hall, London, UK: 86,
    Cultuurpodium Boerderij, Zoetermeer, NL: 87,
    The Met, Bury, UK: 115 days
    Micha
    Premium Member

Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:43 pm

• 'Further Away' is a hard track to get right. (Not that that's reason enough NOT to play it live, of course.) For me, it has some great moments and I wouldn't be opposed to having a crack at it in rehearsal. It would take up a sizeable chunk of the set, though. Just saying...

Yes, we did indeed play an unfinished version of it at The Paradiso many hundreds of years ago. Funny story: at the time, it didn't have a title. I probably introduced it as 'Newie' or something, but 'further away' was a lyric in that embryonic version we were trying out. A few months later, a bootleg CD of that gig appeared (called 'Headlong', if memory serves) with the track listed as 'Further Away'. "Hmmm," thought I at the time, "that's actually not a bad title for the song." And whaddya know, it stuck!
    drpowder
    IQ

Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:25 pm

• Said boot happened my way many many moons ago. Now, I believe my good friend Mick and his sons Chris and Andrew and I saw FA played at old Marquee the night that Tim was invited on stage to play Headlong. I've also seen it played at least an other time, must consult my set lists.
    Carl
    Carl Jacobs
    Silver Poster

Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:10 pm

• drpowder wrote:'A few months later, a bootleg CD of that gig appeared (called 'Headlong', if memory serves) with the track listed as 'Further Away'. "Hmmm," thought I at the time, "that's actually not a bad title for the song." And whaddya know, it stuck!

I have a copy of that bootleg, but didn't listen to it for many years. I also don't know where I bought it, but it looks very professional.
    Funny is that the record is called "Headlong", which isn't on the track list. :)

20160427_212753_k.jpg

Greetings, Uwe.
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    MatD
    Sapphire Poster

Sat May 07, 2016 8:14 am

• We couldn't get into the Premier Inn either. Relegated to the B&B down the road.
    bbb
    Diamond Poster

Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:37 am

• In the early "zeros", this Headlong boot was even in a CD rent store, here around Uden :!:
    Mockenrue
    Diamond Poster

Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:18 pm

• Looks like emails have been sent out to say The Met won't be ready by 5 November and gig has been rescheduled for Saturday 21st January 2017.

Oh well, a weekend in Manchester it will be then as hotel room non-refundable.... Any other gigs going on in the area?

Phil
    http://twitter.com/philrichardsuk
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/philstephenrichards
    philstephenrichards
    Gold Poster

Next

Return to Discussion

Information