Subterranea : The Movie

General Discussion of IQ and music in general
Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:51 pm

• Mathew Miller wrote:Hey All,

I wanted to let everyone know a couple of updates. Subterranea just won Grand Prize in the Sci-Fi and Fantasy category at Rhode Island International Film Festival!

Oh wow - congratulations! When do we (in the UK) get to see it? Can't wait!
    --
    Member of the Marquee Cabal, 1982-1985, now revisiting my prog roots - and loving it!
    jonsg

Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:32 pm

• I'm hoping we can get a screening in the UK this fall/winter. There are a lot of things still up in the air and festivals that we're waiting on so I don't have anything definite as of yet. I am really looking forward to the opportunity to screen in the UK and share the film on a big screen with everyone. If anyone on here happens to have any contacts with theaters or venues that would potentially be available, let me know.
    Mathew Miller

Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:34 pm

• Mathew Miller wrote:I'm hoping we can get a screening in the UK this fall/winter. There are a lot of things still up in the air and festivals that we're waiting on so I don't have anything definite as of yet. I am really looking forward to the opportunity to screen in the UK and share the film on a big screen with everyone. If anyone on here happens to have any contacts with theaters or venues that would potentially be available, let me know.

I can ask around as I have a friend who is very knowledgeable on London cinemas. What sort of capacity are we looking at?

Regards,
    Phil
    http://twitter.com/philrichardsuk
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/philstephenrichards
    philstephenrichards
    Gold Poster

Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:51 pm

• Hi Mathew,

are there any plans for screening it in European mainland (esp. Germany and/or Holland)?

Greetings, Uwe.
    MatD
    Sapphire Poster

Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:30 pm

• I can ask around as I have a friend who is very knowledgeable on London cinemas. What sort of capacity are we looking at?

I'd say a more intimate setting, but it all depends on how many people would turn out to see it. I'd like to have a venue that would be able to accommodate as many fans as possible.

are there any plans for screening it in European mainland (esp. Germany and/or Holland)?

Not currently, we're not waiting on any festivals in Europe outside of the UK right now unfortunately. That being said, that has been one of the areas we want to bring the film, so Im hopeful and looking into possibilities for that as well.
    Mathew Miller

Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:01 am

• Hey All,

I know its been very, very quiet lately on the Subterranea front, but I want to assure all of you we (finally) have some very exciting news on the the near horizon. I will let everyone know hopefully in the next few days about the first bit of good news :D
    Mathew Miller

Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:21 pm

• I'm happy to let you all know that we are going to be screening in London! We will be showing the film at the ICA theater on Sunday, May 1st. The Screening will start at 9:30am (I know it's early :cry: ) and doors will open at 9:15 am. We will be announcing this later today to the public and tickets will go on sale for the event on Wednesday at 5pm (GMT). We're very excited to finally be bringing the film overseas and can't wait to share it with everyone who can make it.
    We'll hopefully have some more good news coming soon about the films release date. I also want to let everyone know that this screening isn't replacing the kickstarter rewards (DVD'S etc.) as those will still be coming to those of you who contributed! We just wanted to give people in London the chance to see the film on the big screen. We'll be doing a(n) (I)Q&A after the movie with myself, DP Brandon Woodard as well as Mike and Pete! We hope as many of you can make it as possible! I hope to have more info soon!

Mat
    Mathew Miller

Sun May 01, 2016 5:04 pm

• To all concerned with the album, movie UK film preview venue , actors, technicians etc etc.
    A huge thank you from this fan. I was transfixed with the film. On a limited budget it was superb.
    I was thinking that the Captive would perhaps discover perhaps that he was in fact Mockenrue, in a hark back to a 60s TV series shot in a N Wales Italianate resort designed by Clough Williams Ellis and which carries its name on pottery.
    By the way this is not a criticism, more a reverential reference, having heard of, though not seen, the Werner Hertzog movie referred to by Peter. Will track this down.
    Looking forward to soundtrack etc and shows.
    By the way, band members, I love concept albums; to me they are not dated and surely there is so much content around which to build a concept.
    Looking forward to receiving the hard copy of the movie.
    Regards to all
    Carl
    Carl Jacobs
    Silver Poster

Sun May 01, 2016 9:37 pm

• A huge thank you from me too. Despite an eye-wateringly early start today, and there being NO COFFEE AVAILABLE at Cambridge railway station, I thoroughly enjoyed the screening today and subsequent pub trip - great to meet some other forum members too. Now eagerly awaiting the hard copy of the film, the soundtrack CD and also a new IQ concept album or two :D .
    "At the water, it is the hour."
    Cat
    Gold Poster

Tue May 03, 2016 4:48 pm

• A great morning at the Subterranea movie premiere at the ICA with Matthew, Brandon, Pete and Mike.
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    Sean

Sun May 08, 2016 11:04 am

• So will there be commercial releases of the film and soundtrack, or will they only be available to the kickstart backers?
    Your call is important to us. You are moving up the queue. Let me play you The Corrs so you fuck off before I have to answer.
    Baron Von Ruddles
    Diamond Poster

Wed May 11, 2016 7:11 pm

• The movie is being released in the USA on September 13th by the MVD Entertainment Group.

From their website:

May 10th, 2016 MVD acquires Sci-Fi Thriller SUBTERRANEA

Bookmark and Share by MVD Entertainment GroupMVD Entertainment Group has acquired all North American distribution rights to science fiction thriller SUBTERRANEA, the award-winning festival favorite from the producer of Jerome Bixby's The Man From Earth. The auspicious debut from director and screenwriter Mathew Miller, Subterranea was inspired by British progressive rock band recording artist "IQ" and their successful 1997 concept album of the same name and stars Bug Hall (The Little Rascals (1994), American Pie: The Book of Love), two-time Emmy Award Nominee Nicholas Turturro (The Longest Yard, "NYPD Blue", "Blue Bloods") and William Katt (Carrie (1976), The Man From Earth, "The Greatest American Hero").

The deal was negotiated by Ed Seaman from MVD and co-producers Mathew Miller and Brandon Woodard on behalf of Birdman Films.

Subterranea stars Bug Hall as "The Captive", who was locked in a dark cell as a small child and was raised in complete isolation, never seeing daylight or even another human being. Over twenty years later, without warning, he is released into society with nothing but the clothes on his back. Determined to find out who he is, The Captive discovers that he's the centerpiece of a dangerous orchestrated sociological experiment and sets off to find the truth about his shadowed existence, ultimately leading to a thrilling confrontation with his maker, "The Provider" (William Katt).

Following the release of IQ's double album "Subterranea", writer / director Mathew Miller was inspired. "As a huge fan of IQ, I was honored and thrilled to be collaborating with Peter Nicholls (IQ lyricist, writer and lead vocalist) and the band. My goal was to respect the original material and bring to life the already stimulating and poignant images the music has created in all of our minds and hearts as fans."

As the film was in development, Mat struck a professional friendship with one of the producers from The Man From Earth, Eric D. Wilkinson. Wilkinson's debut film has achieved "cult status" (The Man From Earth now resides among the Top 50 Science Fiction Films of all time on the IMDb) and was confident that he could help bring this film to a wider audience.

"When I first read Mat's script, I fell in love with the story and characters," said Wilkinson. "In some ways, the film reminded me of The Man From Earth. It had that 'intellectual sci-fi feel' to it, and at the same time, really played well as a conventional thriller. Mathew is a super talented young director and I was committed to helping him realize his vision for the material. MVD is a great company that is exceptionally supportive of filmmakers and producers and I look forward to our film's release later this year."

Subterranea has been receiving accolades on the festival circuit including Grand Prize Winner: Vortex Sci-fi & Fantasy Award- 2015 Rhode Island International Film Festival, Winner - Jury Prize - Best Film - 2015 Reel East Film Festival, Official Selection - 2015 Reno Tahoe International Film Festival, Official Selection - 2015 Queen City Film Festival and Official Selection - 2015 Montana Film Festival. The film made its European premiere in London on May 1st, 2016.

Subterranea will debut on Digital, VOD, DVD and Blu-ray on September 13, 2016 from MVD Entertainment Group.

Special Features included on the disc include two behind the scenes featurettes "The Making of Subterranea" and "On the Set of Subterranea - Timelapses, deleted scenes and the original theatrical trailer."

SUBTERRANEA
    2016 MVD Entertainment Group
    2016 Birdman Films
    Directed by: Mathew Miller
    Written By: Mathew Miller
    Story By: Peter Nicholls
    Produced by: Eric D. Wilkinson and Mathew Miller & Brandon Woodard
    Running Time: 90 minutes
    List Price: $24.95

The DVD is available to pre-order from their website (not the Blu-ray as yet) but I can't see any mention of whether it is region locked if that is a concern for anyone.

The DVD is also listed on Amazon.

Destroy Earth!

Thu May 12, 2016 9:44 pm

Tue May 24, 2016 9:33 pm

• At the Subby screening Matthew was asked if there were any other projects he would like to work on.
    Can I suggest the following topics:
    The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.
    Suppers Ready
    In The Court Of The Crimson King
    Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
    Born To Run
    Hemispheres
    Or
    Olias of Sunhillow
    Here's hoping
    Carl
    Carl Jacobs
    Silver Poster

Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:35 am

• Would it be possible to screen Subterranea in the cafe before the Xmas bash gig in Zoetermeer?
    You know nothing, Jon Snow
    ildjarn
    Diamond Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion

Information