Eeh, vinyl...

General Discussion of IQ and music in general
Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:21 pm

• I've just received a test pressing of the free 12" single that comes with the initial 500 copies of 'Subterranea' on vinyl, so I had to set up my deck - first time in 12 years that I've actually had it out, as it were...

Couldn't help but put on loads of stuff that's been gathering dust in the wardrobe - first of which was 'I can't let Maggie go' by The Honeybus - eeh, it were grand! Wasn't long before I had to try a bit of 'Aja' (naturally) - what a truly great sounding album that is - everything is SO in it's place in that mix, surely you can't get much better than that?

After all these years of championing the digital medium, I'm perhaps becoming a bit of a vinyl person again (couldn't quite call myself a junkie, at least not yet). Oh goodness...

and, by the way, 'Universal Scam' and 'Eyes of the Blind' sound great on 12" :-)
    Monumental chicken knickers...
    mcdozenlegs
    Distinctive Puce Poster

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:23 pm

• Save me one....please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IQ - GIVES YOU WINGS
    Polly Pocket
    Big Shiny Red Edam Poster

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:02 pm

• Start collecting stamps for the shipment to Norway! This is a autobuy and I'm already standing in line for it... :P
    I can learn to resist - anything but temptation
    ArtIQfan
    Emerald Poster

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:55 pm

• When will the vinyl be available for presale? Or am I completely overlooking the thing in the GEP shop?
    You know nothing, Jon Snow
    ildjarn
    Diamond Poster

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:58 pm

• yeah! vinyl rules! what i told you!
    The voice of freedom and truth
    Peter
    Premium Member

Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:09 pm

• Hopefully the "extra songs" as on The Lost attic and now revived for the vinyl addition, will be inserted, as it were, into their rightful place into the live set, please. They are great tracks in their own right and deserve a live performance.
    Also, I still believe a dogs dangly bits edition of LP, 12" and CD with renewed artwork and USB in a nice ltd box would just do the trick with fans paying up front for the ordering priviledge. Surely that would keep us progressive or should that be unconvincing hypocites or sarcastic sycophants happy.
    As for release date, in my opinion the release should have been timed with Record Store day in UK the following Saturday. After all, If Hackett and Squire and Mr Nicholls' neighbours Elbow can do it, why not IQ? Will some be made available for certain shops and certainly Badlands in Cheltenham?. Many of us saddos will be up at crack of dawn to travel to all parts of country to queue and take part in activities on that day. hey ho.
    Re posting and shipping, can GEP please please ensure sufficient packaging, particularly around the seams and edges is used to prevent bending creasing and damage during shipping. A jiffy bag or card mailer is insufficient. You know, we will pay for decent packaging.
    Carl Jacobs
    Bronze Poster

Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:12 pm

• "Re posting and shipping, can GEP please please ensure sufficient packaging, particularly around the seams and edges is used to prevent bending creasing and damage during shipping. A jiffy bag or card mailer is insufficient. You know, we will pay for decent packaging."

I've been looking around and found some corrugated mailers for sending out the vinyl, so no more jiffy bags!
    foxylady
    Silver Poster

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:36 pm

• I love vinyl and was sorry to see it almost disappear. I could never get it to work very well in the car though.

I detest the world of low quality (ie not enough kbs/second) downloads. Like digital watches - have their uses but not as good as the product they purport to replace.
    2 Sheds
    Silver Poster

Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:43 pm

• If I still had vinyl I'd have to had to have built an extension to my house and strengthening the floors to fit them all in - call me old fashioned but I'll stick with the pesky digital format for now until I win the lottery and can build a house to house all the replacements of my old CD's with vinyl.... and then another format will come in and I'll probably replace that format... and then I'll get nostalgic about the quaility of the previous format so will eventually go back to that format... until another snazzy new format comes in.... ad infinitum.... etc etc and so the marketing and obsessions go on.
    LEO
    Leo - Will You Stay Until the End?...
    Leo
    Riding the Frequency since 1982

Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:14 pm

• Ah yes vinyl. That great rose tinted view of a bygone age

Crackle crackel crackle ....Belly first, unrehearsed crackle pop, I’m thrown from all I’ve known skip A silhouette set set set set set set among the badlands paved with stone crackle pop Photographs, fingerprints, fragile refugee

Turn record over

Higher rise fire in the sky society ..... ( hurry up we're getting close to the label and the percussion has gone all fuzzy)

Digital. GOOD Digital. Do not confuse with or get misty eyed about vinyl.

Hey McD ...... come listen t Aja on my system and it's back to the darkest corner of the wardrobe for Mr Turntable I fear :D
    Nickk
    Silver Poster

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:03 pm

• Thanks, Mike for your efforts to release 'Subterranea' on vinyl - in combination with the additional 12" and the amazing artwork it is a real gem.

I still have a lot of vinyl at home and from time to time I activate my turntable to listen to it. No crackles on it apart from those I borrowed to people who gave a sh*t about the property of others - I usually play my vinyl stuff with a Lenco system and a water-isopropyl alcohol mixture and it sounds still brilliant.

So if you listen to vinyl and get annoyed by crackles you should ask yourself if you always treat your vinyl with the necessary diligence.
    T minus:
    O2 Academy, London, UK: 2,
    The Dome, Tufnell Park, London, UK: 106,
    The Robin 2, Bilston, UK: 163,
    Be Prog! My Friend 2015, Poble Espanyol, Barcelona, E: 205,
    The Met, Bury, UK: 282 days
    Micha
    Premium Member

Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:32 am

• Micha – if you are happy with your vinyl that’s all that really matters. You really don’t need any advice from an old cynic like me! :)

Back in the day I had vinyl based systems to make grown men weep. They all suffered from the same fundamental problem i.e. vinyl as a medium for carrying music was terrible. I’m sure your water/alcohol mix is a wonder fluid but all it is doing is dissolving the crud and allowing the stylus to deposit it more evenly over the grooves.

I’m sure, fresh out of its (anti static?) sleeve the 12 “ is a aural marvel. Give it a couple of (Mc) dozen plays and see where we are with the static and dust free golden warm vinyl sound. (Golden, warm = distortion)

I take all this talk of vinyl revival with an enormous pinch of black plastic salt. A desperate attempt to look alternative and retro for many I fear. Once past the initial nostalgia how many trendys get fed up with the “wear and tear” aspect that is inevitable following heavy rotation a pristine new disc.

Yes - sadly a fact that one day you will put on your beloved Subby Vinyl and whilst digging the grooves you will be taken back to the seventies as you hear a new bit that goes “ Belly first... first ....first .... first ... first....first ( repeat until you thump the table)

Don’t get me wrong – CD has limitations and is hardly indestructible but I cannot mourn vinyls passing any more that shedding a tear for VHS.
    Nickk
    Silver Poster

Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:16 am

• Nickk wrote:Micha – if you are happy with your vinyl that’s all that really matters. You really don’t need any advice from an old cynic like me! :)

Yes, I think I might have seen you before, somewhere on TV, but not sure if you were playing Waldorf or Statler.. :mrgreen:

Seriously, can't you just appreciate the things the band are doing? I'm sure it would have been much easier AND cheaper not to release Subby on vinyl WITH an extra 12 inch just to please us prog heads..
    Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    Denise
    Platinum Poster

Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:25 am

• Nickk wrote:Don’t get me wrong – CD has limitations and is hardly indestructible but I cannot mourn vinyls passing any more that shedding a tear for VHS.

What's wrong with VHS ? When I record something on my digibox hard drive and want it for keeps I then copy it to VHS (a) to avoid the digibox memory filling up, and (b) so I stand some chance of finding it again one day, and (c) so it won't get damaged (as a DVD-R is very likely to).
    2 Sheds
    Silver Poster

Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:50 am

• 2 Sheds wrote:When I record something on my digibox hard drive and want it for keeps I then copy it to VHS (a) to avoid the digibox memory filling up, and (b) so I stand some chance of finding it again one day, and (c) so it won't get damaged (as a DVD-R is very likely to).

I take my hard drive out of the digibox, hook it up to my PC and transfer over the stuff I want to keep ;-)

I'll go for the IQ Subby Vinyl 'cos it looks beautiful and it's a nice collectors item but that's as far as it goes for me. Thing is, I can't remember the last time I actually sat down and just listened to music. I love the convenience of the digital formats as my listening is usually 'on the move' or sat in my office at the computer. I can see the appeal though...

D
    Grab your taco, you've pulled a dyslexic Mexican.
    Deno
    Site Admin

Next

Return to Discussion

Information